MSO10940 - Post-medieval catchwork gutter south and west of Warren Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Contour leat running from SS 7890 4095, a 19th Century field bank, to SS 7955 4057 where it fades out by the stream running down the east side of the farm. Western section generally 0.6 metres wide with a low spread down slope bank. To the south of the farm it is scarcely discernible. The leat does not cut any other features, but is cut by the 19th Century field boundaries and road. [1-5] The leat described above is clearly visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, and is apparently fact part of the substantial water meadow system now recorded under MMO2354. [6,7] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33079. [Mapped feature: #34524 ]
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4156.
- <3> SSO245 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 79. 9282.
- <4> SSO407 Photograph: February 198. SCC Planning Department Slide 3.014.0087.
- <5> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 41 (site 228).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 134-136 (12 March 1995).
- <7> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1101997, Extant 31 May 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7923 4075 (637m by 365m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO613
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6909
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE59
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1101997
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33079
Record last edited
May 31 2021 11:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.