MMO2344 - Drainage Ditches, West Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Several post medieval, probably 19th century drainage ditches are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks on the northern edge of West Pinford, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7956 4229, at least four gutters are visible, following the contours between East and West Pinford and covering an area of approximately 7 hectares. They may be part of the drainage system visible to the south (MMO2340), but they do not appear to connect to it at any point and have therefore been recorded separately. The extensive drainage systems in this area are believed to date to the mid-19th century and are part of the Knight family's agricultural improvements (1-2).
- <1> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. P. 32-33.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. 540/931 3110-11. 08/11/1952.
- <3> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7957 4227 (332m by 388m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475766 (Pastscape entry: 1475766)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1475766
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.