MSO7099 - Post-medieval or modern pond on East Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7978 4202 is a feature, depicted on the 1981 Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 scale mapping . It comprises a circular water filled hollow, 17.5 metres in diameter and 3.5 metres deep (to surface of water). It is surrounded by a well defined turf covered stony bank 0.6 metres high and 3 metres wide. Its isolated position and the lack of apparent access renders its interpretation speculative.  The circular hollow described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs; however, the surrounding bank is not apparent, and may be obscured by vegetation. The feature lies within an area of extensive post medieval drainage channels, believed to be part of the land improvement attempts by the Knight family during the mid 19th Century, and may well be associated with this activity. [3,4] Previously interpreted as a bomb crater.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The feature is shown on the 2021 MasterMap data and labelled "Pond".  It is not shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SSO1434 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1981. 1:10,000, 1981.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 August 1994.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 133-34 (12 March 1995).
- <4> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <5> SSO1330 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1982. (source not fully recorded).
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1039117, Extant 26 May 2021.
- <7> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <8> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7977 4201 (17m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1039117 (Pastscape entry: 1039117)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO481
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12408
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE119
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1039117
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35604
Record last edited
Jun 2 2021 2:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.