MMO2368 - Post-medieval drainage ditch northeast of East Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A short section of a post-medieval, probably 19th Century drainage ditch is visible on aerial phptographs on the northeast edge of East Pinford, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7993 4248, the drain runs approximately northeast to southwest, turning towards the south at the southwest end and measuring some 72 metres long. It is similar in size and form to the main body of drains on East Pinford (see MMO2338) but does not appear to be connected to the system and so has been recorded separately. However, it likely dates to the same period, and is part of the Knight family's attempt at land improvement in the area. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3110-11 (8 November 1952).
- <2>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32955 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475986, Extant 8 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7994 4248 (52m by 57m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475986 (Pastscape entry: 1475986)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE217
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475986
Record last edited
Jun 8 2021 4:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.