MSO7601 - World War Two mound and trench on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Centred at SS 94452 47648 is an amorphous linear mound 18 metres long and 5 metres wide running northeast to southwest. On its eastern side is a sharp sided trench 0.7 metres deep and 1 metres wide. The feature is presumably associated with World War Two military activity on North Hill (MMO627). Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] The trench referred to above [1,2] is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The trench is centred at SS 9445 4764 and measures about 16 metres in length and orientated northeast to southwest. A parallel bank of earthwork is visible to the west and is presumably the spoil from the trench. [3-5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS-79013 164-165 (17 April 1979).
- <5>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #46830 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 94455 47646 (22m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102240 (Original Monarch entry: 1102240)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO636
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12456
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW91
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102240
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35657
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 2:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.