MSO7596 - World War Two earthwork on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 94438 47605 is an amorphous spread of surface stone measuring 6.2 metres north to south by 9.4 metres west to east. It is visible as a concentration of surface stone, different vegetation to the surrounding moorland and a disturbed surface. It appears to be of military origin and is most likely to be associated with World War Two activity on North Hill (MMO629). Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] The mound referred to above [1,2] is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The roughly circular mound is centred at SS 9444 4760 and measures about 9 metres in diameter. The mound is associated with other adjacent Second World War military features (MMO629 and MMO636). [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 Nov 1997.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. RCHME.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <5>XY SMO7542 Archive: Dickson, A.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #42933 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1102227, Extant 11 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 94441 47604 (13m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (4)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102227 (Original Monarch entry: 1102227)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO631
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12453
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW88
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1102227
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35654
Record last edited
May 11 2022 4:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.