MMO629 - World War Two mortar position on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 94422 47602 is a `U' shaped stony mound or bank. It measures between 7.8 and 9.2 metres across. The bank is well constructed, 0.4 m high and comprises fist-sized stones and earth. It is clearly military in function and is best interpreted as either a dug-out or mortar position. About 14 metres to the east-south-east is a spread of stony material probably associated with it. Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME's survey of the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] The mound referred to above [1,2] is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The roughly U shaped mound is centred at SS 9442 4760 and measures about 9 metres by 8 metres. The mound is associated with other adjacent Second World War military tank training activities recorded as MMO627, including a possible slit trench and training targets recorded as MMO636 and MMO1491 respectively. [3-5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. SS 94 NW 87, p12, 25.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9447/12 (21106/11) (9 February 2001).
- <5>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #42932 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9442 4760 (15m by 15m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102207 (Original Monarch entry: 1102207)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12452
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7618
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW87
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102207
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35653
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 2:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.