MMO1491 - World War Two target area on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A possible Second World War target area is visible as earthworks on aerial photography. The targets are centred at SS 9449 4765 and defined by five small circular mounds. The mounds measure about 2 metres in diameter and are spaced between 10 metres and 20 metres apart along a line 83 metres in length and orientated northwest to southeast. The possible targets are adjacent to a Second World War slit trench and possible mortar position (recorded as MSO7601 and MMO629 respectively) and are therefore likely to be associated with tank training activities recorded as MSO7616. The target mounds were levelled on aerial photographs taken in 1979. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70066 029-030 (3 May 1970).
- <3> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9449 4765 (83m by 29m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1455033 (Original Monarch entry: 1455033)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW190
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1455033
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.