MSO10376 - 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit south of Long Combe Stream (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A rounded, faceless, quarried depression is cut 2 metres deep into the hillside. This feature is close enough to the 19th Century field bank to suggest that the quarry pre dates the wall.  A small quarry or prospecting pit is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, on the higher north facing slopes of Long Combe, centred at circa SS 81284262, approximately 475 metres to the southwest of Larkbarrow Cottage. The pit is roughly circular in shape with a diameter of approximately 8 metres. It is not possible to be sure of the pits date or function from aerial photographs alone. A larger pit nearby is marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map as a quarry. However, it is one of six similarly sized pits visible in this area, one of which, also marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map, has been identified on the ground as a mineral prospecting pit. This may support the interpretation that the pit is possibly of late 19th century date. Further fieldwork is necessary to determine the feature's function. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO92 Unassigned: Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 1982. [No title]. 5 July 1982.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3107-8 (8 November 1952).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #47384 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478097, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8128 4262 (10m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Related to: 19th Century prospecting pit southwest of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument) (MSO10161)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit at Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10382)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit south of Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10378)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry southwest of Larkbarrow Cottage (Monument) (MSO10163)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarries southwest of Tom's Hill Farm (Monument) (MMO2559)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry at Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10356)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry west of Larkbarrow Cottage (Monument) (MSO10355)
- Related to: Small Quarry, South of Long Combe (Monument) (MMO2514)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478097 (Pastscape entry: 1478097)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2512
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW261
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478097
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18776
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 12:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.