MMO2514 - 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit south of Long Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A small quarry or prospecting pit is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, on the higher north facing slopes of Long Combe, centred at circa SS 8113 4273, approximately 620 metres to the west of Larkbarrow Cottage. The pit is roughly circular in shape with a diameter of approximately 8 metres. It is not possible to be sure of the pit's date or function from aerial photographs alone. A larger pit about 10 metres to the north is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as a quarry. However, it is one of at least six similarly sized pits visible in this area, one of which, also marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, has been identified on the ground as a mineral prospecting pit. This may support the interpretation that the pit is possibly of late 19th Century date, but further fieldwork is necessary to determine the feature's function. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3107-8 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38230 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478109, Extant 19 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8113 4273 (10m by 10m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Related to: 19th Century prospecting pit southwest of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument) (MSO10161)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit at Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10382)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit south of Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10378)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit south of Long Combe Stream (Monument) (MSO10376)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry southwest of Larkbarrow Cottage (Monument) (MSO10163)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarries southwest of Tom's Hill Farm (Monument) (MMO2559)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry at Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10356)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry west of Larkbarrow Cottage (Monument) (MSO10355)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478109 (Pastscape entry: 1478109)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW263
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478109
Record last edited
Jul 19 2021 3:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.