MSO10356 - Post-medieval quarry at Long Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A deep quarried depression was identified from aerial photographs in 1982. The quarry is cut into the hill slope with a ragged face on the south side and irregular mounds at the bottom of the slope on the north side. The depression is about 6 metres deep.  A pit is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, on the north facing slopes of Long Combe, approximately 600 metres to the west of Larkbarrow Cottage, at circa SS 8115 4278. The pit is roughly oval in shape and measures just over 20 metres in length, west to east. It is one of six quarries visible on aerial photographs in this area on the slopes above Long Combe. However, it is one of only three also marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1889 and the only one in this vicinity annotated as a quarry. This would indicate that the quarry is, at the latest, of late 19th Century date. It is also cut by the course of a contour leat of probable mid 19th Century date, and therefore it can be confidently said to pre date circa 1850. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO92 Unassigned: Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 1982. [No title]. 5 July 1982.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 (F20) 3107-8 (8 November 1952).
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #47385 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478091, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8115 4278 (22m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Related to: 19th Century prospecting pit southwest of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument) (MSO10161)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit at Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10382)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit south of Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10378)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit south of Long Combe Stream (Monument) (MSO10376)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry southwest of Larkbarrow Cottage (Monument) (MSO10163)
- Related to: Post-medieval or 20th Century quarry northwest of Tom's Hill Farm (Monument) (MMO2546)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry west of Larkbarrow Cottage (Monument) (MSO10355)
- Related to: Small Quarry, South of Long Combe (Monument) (MMO2514)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478091 (Pastscape entry: 1478091)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2511
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW260
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478091
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18630
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.