MSO10355 - Post-medieval quarry west of Larkbarrow Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A small rounded quarry was identified from aerial photographs in 1982. It is estimated to be as much as 2 metres deep with a ragged face on the northwest side. The small spoil mound appears to be cut by a leat.  A small quarry or prospecting pit is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, on the south facing slopes of Long Combe, approximately 400 metres to the southwest of Larkbarrow Cottage, at circa SS 8135 4269. It is not possible to be sure of the pit's function from aerial photographs alone, but it is one of six quarries visible on aerial photographs in this area on the slopes above Long Combe. However, it is one of only three also marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1889. This would indicate that the quarry is, at the latest, of late 19th Century date. One of the larger quarries to the west (at SS 8287 4110) is reportedly cut by the course of a contour leat of probable mid 19th Century date, and therefore can be confidently said to predate it. Although not directly impacted by a leat, this quarry is adjacent to one, the course of which it appears to respect, and it is likely that the quarry recorded here is of similar or later date. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO92 Unassigned: Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 1982. [No title]. 5 July 1982.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889. [Mapped feature: #38223 ]
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3107-8 (8 November 1952).
- <4> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478083, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8135 4269 (10m by 8m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (7)
- Related to: 19th Century prospecting pit southwest of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument) (MSO10161)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit at Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10382)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit south of Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10378)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry or prospecting pit south of Long Combe Stream (Monument) (MSO10376)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry southwest of Larkbarrow Cottage (Monument) (MSO10163)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry at Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10356)
- Related to: Small Quarry, South of Long Combe (Monument) (MMO2514)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478083 (Pastscape entry: 1478083)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2510
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW259
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478083
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18629
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 12:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.