MSO10355 - Quarry, West of Larkbarrow Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A small rounded quarry was identified from aerial photographs in 1982. It is estimated to be as much as 2 metres deep with a ragged face on the northwest side. The small spoil mound appears to be cut by a leat. (1) A small quarry or prospecting pit is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, on the south facing slopes of Long Combe, approximately 400 metres to the southwest of Larkbarrow Cottage, at circa SS81354269. It is not possible to be sure of the pit's function from aerial photographs alone, but it is one of six quarries visible on aerial photographs in this area on the slopes above Long Combe. However, it is one of only three also marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1889. This would indicate that the quarry is, at the latest, of late 19th century date. One of the larger quarries to the west (at SS 82874110) is reportedly cut by the course of a contour leat of probable mid 19th century date, and therefore can be confidently said to predate it. Although not directly impacted by a leat, this quarry is adjacent to one, the course of which it appears to respect, and it is likely that the quarry recorded here is of similar or later date. (2-4)
- <1> SSO92 Unassigned: Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 1982. 05/07/1982.
- <2> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3107-8. 08/11/1952.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8135 4269 (10m by 8m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478083 (Pastscape entry: 1478083)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2510
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1478083
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18629
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.