MMO2546 - Post-medieval or 20th Century quarry northwest of Tom's Hill Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A small quarry with associated spoil heaps is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork approximately 90 metres to the northeast of Tom's Hill Farm at circa SS 8109 4323. The quarry consists of a rectilinear pit up to 5 metres in diameter with spoil heaps visible along its southeastern and northwestern sides. It is not possible to ascertain the function of the quarry from the aerial photographs alone. The earthwork is not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, as are a number of quarries in this area, and may therefore post date its publication date of 1889. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540-931 (F20) 3062-3 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #47618 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478467, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8109 4323 (12m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: 19th Century quarry west of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument) (MSO10175)
- Related to: Post-medieval or 20th Century quarries north of Tom's Hill deserted farm (Monument) (MSO10385)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry at Long Combe (Monument) (MSO10356)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry east of Tom's Hill Farm (Monument) (MSO10384)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478467 (Pastscape entry: 1478467)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW295
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478467
Record last edited
Oct 13 2021 1:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.