MDE11657 - Medieval or post-medival field system on Wallover Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 6965 3919. Low banks forming old field boundaries south of goat combe. Their visibilty is good on the 1947 aerial photograph  and fair on 1977 aerial photograph .  An area of abandoned field boundaries, covering some 15 hectares, is centred at SS 6960 3915 on the crest and on the north facing slopes of Wallover Down. The field system was recorded by , and a number of the boundaries are still depicted on Ordnance Survey 1:10000 and 1:2500 maps. They survive as earthen banks up to 0.5 metres high, delineating former fields and aiding drainage. At SS 6955 3930 are traces of narrow ridge and furrow on a roughly north to south alignment. At SS 6929 3907 a west to east boundary shown by  is overlain by an existing north to south hedge bank. This and the random appearance of some of the boundaries, may suggest that the system represents several phases of enclosure. At SS 6970 3912, on the crest of the west to east saddle of Wallover Down, is an area of irregular peat cutting, averaging some 0.4 metres in depth.  The field system described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs, although the peat cuttings are less obvious. [2,5,6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4142 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/14/053 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6939A.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 December 1992.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4101-02 (19 May 1947).
- <6>XY SMO7571 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 63 NE. MD002188. [Mapped feature: #38786 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6949 3914 (847m by 467m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=925451 (Pastscape entry: 925451)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS63NE/41
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17897
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20511
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO334
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 63 NE24
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 925451
Record last edited
Jan 21 2019 1:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.