MEM23183 - Wellshead Farm, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Exford and labelled "Higher Wellshead".  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the farmstead had undergone various alterations and addition, including the relocation of the farmhouse from the west of the site to the east (see MEM22503 and MEM22502) and the demolition of a barn at the western end of the site (MEM23184). This allowed space for the construction of additional barns to form a farmyard. An Ordnance Survey bench mark is depicted on the northern wall of one of the barns constructed after the Tithe Map was surveyed to the north of the site. The layout of the farmstead is very similarly depicted on the 2nd Edition map. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the site has been extended to the east.  The site was visited in January 1997. The extant farmhouse was thought to date to the 18th Century or earlier and was noted to stand separate from a large yard with some cobbling. The ranges along the road were thought to be little altered and possibly of listable quality. Accommodation for horses was also noted around the site. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 147.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8285 3985 (110m by 62m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: 19th Century water meadow south of Wellshead Farm (Monument) (MSO6763)
- Parent of: Post-medieval barn at Wellshead Farm (Building) (MEM22504)
- Parent of: Post-medieval barn at Wellshead Farm (Building) (MEM23184)
- Parent of: Post-medieval farmhouse at Wellshead Farm (Monument) (MEM22503)
- Parent of: Wellshead Farmhouse, Exford (Building) (MEM22502)
- Related to: Possible deserted farm of Lower Wellshead (Monument) (MSO11282)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 147
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.