MEM21901 - Market at Dulverton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- MARKET (AD 14th Century to Post Medieval - 1306 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- COBBLED ROAD (AD 17th Century to AD 19th Century - 1600 AD to 1899 AD (Unclassified))
- SHAMBLES (AD 18th Century to AD 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD (Unclassified))
- MARKET CROSS (AD 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD (Unclassified))
Dulverton High Street was cobbled throughout its length prior to modern pavement construction. The cobbled surface in Union Street has been dated to the 17th century or earlier. It lies close to the heart of the settlement in the area known to be the market. 17th century earthenware was found above the cobbled surface.  A market and three day fair were granted in 1306. Based on 1820 and 1838 maps, it would seem that the town consisted originally of a large open market area in front of the church. This probably reached almost to the river.  Medieval attempts to establish Dulverton as a borough led to the establishment of a market. William de Luxborough obtained the grant of a market and fair for Dulverton in 1306. In 1555, the inhabitants of Dulverton made an attempt at self government, and obtained from Queen Mary a new grant of a Saturday market.  In 1306, Edward I granted a licence to hold a market each Thursday and an annual fair for three days over the Feast of All Saints.  The street plan of Dulverton is consistent with the existence in the medieval period of a large, central market place, stretching, perhaps from the churchyard, down towards the bridge. The market house and shambles are visible on the 1790 map. The Shambles was cleared away early in the 19th century and Fore Street created. [6-7] In 1820, there was reputedly a Shambles in Fore Street, as well as a Market House and Butter Cross.  In 1760, it was agreed that a Market House would be built to replace the Shambles, but it was another 100 years before they were demolished. 
- <1> SEM7307 Report: Juleff, G.. 1997. Dulverton High Street Archaeological Watching Brief Report. P.6, 9.
- <2> SMO5527 Monograph: Aston, M. + Leech, R.. 1977. Historic Towns in Somerset. Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. Survey Number 2. P.42.
- <3> SEM7308 Archive: Juleff, G.. 1997. Notes, Plans and Photographs of Dulverton High Street Watching Brief. Photographs and sketches of the cobbled surfaces.
- <4> SEM7072 Report: Green, T., Humphreys, C. + Waterhouse, R.. Woodliving, Dulverton, Somerset: Results of an Archaeological Building Survey and Desk-Based Study. P.5, 6.
- <5> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.6, 9, 28.
- <6> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.7, 8, 10.
- <7> SEM7586 Map: 1790. Plan of Manor of Dulverton.
- <8> SEM6958 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. c.2003. Dulverton Conservation Area Appraisal. p5.
- <9> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.9, 11, 19, 27.
- <10> SEM7541 Monograph: Siraut, M.. 2009. Exmoor: The Making of an English Upland. Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1st Edition. P.63, 77, 82, 94, 120, 121.
|Grid reference||SS 914 279 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
Record last edited
Nov 13 2018 9:14AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.