MEM22180 - Former Market House, Fore Street, Dulverton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The Market House is an 18th century building, converted into the Town Hall and furnished in 1927 with exterior steps.  The market house was rebuilt in the 19th century.  The Market Hall built in 1866 replaces one of 1760.  In 1760, it was agreed that a Market House would be built to replace the Shambles, but it was another 100 years before they were demolished. The lower floor of the Market House was open and used mainly for market stalls, though it did at one point house the Dulverton fire engine. The upper room was used for functions, including the Magistrates Court. 
- <1> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.9, 58, 77, Photographs.
- <2> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.13, 14.
- <3> SEM6958 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. c.2003. Dulverton Conservation Area Appraisal. p5, 8, 13, 15, 26, Photographs.
- <4> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.10-11, 13, 15-17, 24, 37-38, 40, 45, 51, 54, 59, 68, 71, 90, 95-96, 99, 101, 105-106, Photographs.
|Grid reference||SS 9138 2789 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31405
Record last edited
Dec 4 2012 9:01AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.