MDE14802 - South Lode Workings, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
South Lode workings, part of the New Florence Iron Mine consisting of six adits and four shafts which have been subject to continual infilling and robbing. The best preserved shaft is a circular hole 4.2 metres in diameter and 3.4 metres deep with sections of tramrail projecting from it. A building to the northeast is considered to be the remains of an engine house with coal store. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  Many of the workings on the site are visible on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 November 1995.
- <3> SEM7691 Report: Instone, E.. 1995. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports: The Iron Mining Industry. Volume 2.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1097020, Extant 5 October 2021.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7516 3199 (510m by 222m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (10)
- Parent of: Adit 1, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE21446)
- Parent of: Adit 2, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE21448)
- Parent of: Adit 3, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE21450)
- Parent of: Adit 4, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE21444)
- Parent of: Adit 5, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE21239)
- Parent of: Adit 6, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE21238)
- Parent of: Shaft B, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE21449)
- Parent of: Shaft C, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE21447)
- Parent of: Shaft D, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE21445)
- Part of: Florence Mine / New Florence Iron Mine (Monument) (MDE20058)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1097020 (Pastscape entry: 1097020)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60631
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/504/24
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21689
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE19
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1097020
Record last edited
Oct 5 2021 4:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.