MDE21449 - Shaft B, New Florence Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Shaft B, Florence Mine. Remains open and is c. 9 feet square. Known to have been around 90 feet deep.  In the vicinity of this shaft, particularly where its spoil heap has been cut by improvement of the forestry track, there is evidence of large scale subsidence, which is seen by Bowman as evidence of extensive below ground slopes.  The shaft is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  It is also labelled as disused on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. p266.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit, FM Griffith and Bowman, 5 December 1994.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #47576 ]
- <4> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7511 3201 (40m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46904
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/504/8
Record last edited
Oct 5 2021 1:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.