MDE11164 - St Martin's Church and Churchyard, Martinhoe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 6680 4866. St. Martin's Church, Martinhoe.  The precise date of early building of the Parish church of St Martin, Martinhoe is not known. The original font, now to be seen in St Petroc's Church, Parracombe (MDE7975), is probably of Saxon origin. There was substantial rebuilding in Norman times, although completion in a form recognisable today was not until about 1200 AD.  A name board outside the building states the church is 11th Century.  A small, unbuttressed, unpinnacled west tower, narrower than the nave. Low, depressed pointed opening of the tower to the nave: a very primitive form (compare to Parracombe). Nave and lower chancel, the chancel of c.1300 (east window Victorian). The early 19th Century restoration (flat ceilings, semicircular chancel arch) was swept away in 1866-67 by SS Teulon: new chancel arch, reconstruction of porch and roofs, and reseating; not as idiosyncratic as some of his work. The church has a gorgeous stiff-leaf-decorated font of 1864 in polychrome marble, executed by Pulsford of Barnstaple. Very little of the tracery of the wainscoting on the screen is all that remains.  Extensive renovations in 1866-7 when the musicians' gallery was destroyed. An aisle was added in 1867.  The rood screen dates to the 15th Century and is illustrated in the 1875 volume of the Exeter Diocesan Transactions.  An image of the altar table is recorded in Devon Notes and Queries.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This structure is present on the 1842 Martinhoe Tithe map.  The church was photographed in 1899. It is dedicated to St Martin, although the name of the village may predate the church. Its earliest parts are the chancel (late 13th or early 14th Century) and some fabric in the nave and tower and a piscina. In the early 19tH Century the congregation outgrew the church, which was enlarged and heavily restored between 1866 and 1867. The vestry was built in 1851 and housed the school until the National School was opened in 1873. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 2(15).
- <2> SEM8064 Leaflet: Unknown. Unknown. Information Sheet, Martinhoe Church.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 10 June 1993.
- <5> SMO4764 Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1999. The Buildings of England: Devon. Penguin Books. 2nd Edition. 562-563.
- <6> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Anonymous.
- <7> SDE15320 Article in serial: Bond, F. B.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. 474.
- <8> SMO4114 Serial: 1900 -. Devon and Cornwall notes and queries. Volume 3 (1904-5) Altar Tables, p201 pl.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <11> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 89.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6679 4864 (59m by 58m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Group of gravestones dedicated to the Jones family, St Martin's Churchyard (Monument) (MDE21321)
- Parent of: Post-medieval gravestones marking Rattenbury grave, St Martin's Churchyard (Monument) (MDE21320)
- Parent of: Two gravestones around Latham grave, St Martin's Churchyard (Monument) (MDE21322)
- Part of: Martinhoe (Place) (MDE20863)
- Related to: Martinhoe School (Building) (MEM22399)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=5286 (CHER ID: 615482)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=914925 (Pastscape entry: 914925)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/3/112
- Church Heritage Record ID: 615482
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/7
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2027
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2028
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 5521
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/7/1
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/7/2
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/7/3
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/7/4
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/7/5
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20107
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20108
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20174
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE17
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 914925
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.