MARTINHOE MARTINHOE SS 64 SE 4/112 Church of St. Martin - 25.2.65 GV II* Parish Church. Late C13/early C14 chancel and possibly some of the fabric of the tower and nave. Part of north wall of nave rebuilt in late Cl7. Vestry 1851. Restored 1866-7 by S. S. Teulon when north aisle was added and south porch rebuilt. Tower restored 1914. Stone rubble, tower roughly coursed, with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable ends and apex crosses. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle. Small west tower of 2 stages, unbuttressed with embattled parapet. Narrow single- light bell-openings with slate louvres on each face with additional taller light beneath the north side bell-opening. 2 light lancet, mostly original stonework to left of south porch which has pointed arched doorway with single chamfer terminating in pyramid stops, thinner chamfer to pointed arched inner doorway. 3 windows to right of 3, 2 and single trefoil-headed lights, that of 2 lights with most of its original stonework. C19 east window of stepped triple lancets. Gable-ended vestry has 2 light windows to east and west side with some reused early stonework. 2 C19 2 light lancets to north aisle. Interior: largely complete C19 interior fittings. C19 waggon roof to chancel, arch- braced trusses with queen struts to nave. North arcade of 3 bays with circular piers and moulded capitals. Low depressed pointed tower arch with rough stone voussoirs. Pulpit and chancel fittings brought from Kings Sutton, Northants. C13 trefoil- headed piscina in east wall, C19 piscan to north wall. Panelled reredos and return walls, with scallops motif to headrail. C19 altar table 3 panels wide with end demi-panels, blind with cusped tracery to the heads. Communion rails with elaborate quatrefoil tracery. C19 poppy head bench ends to the choir stalls. Chancel rail of 4 lights to each side, with embattled headrail and ogee tracery to the semi-circular headed lights. C19 pulpit with 2 principal blind traceried facets to the drum. C19 nave seating. Font 1864 by Putsford of Barnstaple with elaborate stiff-leaf decoration. Wall monuments North aisle, east end. Slate, to Margaret Blackmore (d.1683) above reset stone slab to Rev. James Colley, Rector of Parracombe Church (d.1762) and to Mary and his wife (d.1770). To left reset slate slab to John Jennings, late minister of the parish (d. 1678). North aisle, west end, 2 wall monuments with skull and hour glass motifs to the base of each to Prudence Partridge (d.1751) and Mary Blackmore (d.1751) with accompanying verses.
Listing NGR: SS6680248659