MEM22399 - Martinhoe School (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The school is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] Martinhoe voluntary school was first established in 1873. In 1903 it was a recognised public elementary school. It closed in 1941.  The plot on which the school stands contains no structures on the Martinhoe Tithe Map  The National School was opened in 1873 at the instigation of the Throckmorton family, who were for a long time the Lords of the Manor and owners of most of the parish. Previously the church vestry, built in 1851, was used as the schoolroom. The parish population in the late 19th Century was much higher than it is now and the school has long since closed. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7966 Monograph: Sellman, R.R.. 1967. Devon Village Schools in the Nineteenth Century. David and Charles Limited. 51, 147, 154, 159, 161.
- <4> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 89.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6674 4866 (11m by 12m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.