Site Event/Activity record EEM14139 - 2013: GPS - Porlock Allotment, Dig Porlock
Four Bronze Age hut circles and hut platforms, a prehistoric enclosed settlement and an area of post-medieval peat cutting on Porlock Allotment, Exmoor National Park, were surveyed as part of the Dig Porlock project, run by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme. Dig Porlock aims to further our understanding of the moorland heritage through the active participation of the local community: volunteers and schools. The prehistoric remains on Porlock Allotment are extremely well preserved and two of the hut circles show evidence of formal ‘closure’ before they fell into disuse. The peat cutting dates from the post-medieval period and was carried out before the construction of a railway trackbed in the 1850s.
- <1> SEM8002 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Dig Porlock: Earthwork surveys on Porlock Allotment.
- <2> SEM8323 Archive: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER prototype website test. 1586855.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1586855, Extant 6 July 2016.
|Location||Porlock Allotment, Exmoor|
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8411 4404 (997m by 1901m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (13)
- MSO7902 Bronze Age burial cairn on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
- MEM22440 Cairn of uncertain date on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
- MSO7904 Enclosure, Porlock Allotment (Monument)
- MSO7946 Hut circle or ring cairn on Porlock Common (Monument)
- MSO7945 Hut Circle, Porlock Common (Monument)
- MMO2525 Peat Cutting, Black Mires above Weir Water (Monument)
- MEM22441 Possible field boundary of unknown date on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
- MEM22438 Possible prehistoric field boundary on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
- MEM22439 Possible prehistoric field boundary on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
- MEM22437 Possible prehistoric mound on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
- MSO7907 Prehistoric Settlement, Porlock Allotment (Monument)
- MEM22436 Prehistoric standing stone on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
- MSO7911 Prehistoric stone setting on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
Parent/preceding Site Events/Activities (1)
- EEM14138 2013: Geo - Hawkcombe Head, Dig Porlock
Record last edited
May 11 2021 12:11PM