MSO7902 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 8405 4470 is a cairn with a hollow centre (Grinsells Porlock No 2), 9 paces across by 1.5 feet high.  This is a heather covered cairn 0.7 metres high, at SS 8401 4468. [10,11] Surveyed at 1:2500.  Ruined hut circle or cairn 500 metres west of Colley Water stone circle. Made of medium sized stones, it is 9 paces in diameter and 1 metre high. Hollowed centre and possible entrance on the northwest downslope side suggesting a hut circle. Two standing stones nearby (MSO7911).  A circular heap of stone was recorded 500m to the west of the Porlock stone circle. The feature is 9 metres in diameter and 1 metre high with an irregular profile. It is not certain whether or not this is a partially robbed cairn or a very ruinous hut circle.  SS 8405 4470. "Cairn" written on Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map.  More likely to be a cairn.  Scheduled on 27 March 1996 together with stone row (MSO7911).  Centred at SS 84008 44694 is a robbed cairn. It lies on a low spur set down within a tributary valley of Weir Water. It comprises a circular, heather covered, stony mound 6.7 metres in diameter, disturbed by a robbing hollow driven in from the north. Surveyed with GPS, 12 August 1996. [8,9] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 8.  This was surveyed during a measured field survey undertaken as part of the Dig Porlock project, run by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme.  The site was surveyed in May 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 4.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 38.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 8 July 1965.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33933.
- <4> SSO859 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. + Murless, B.. 1981. Somerset Archaeology 1980. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 125. P. 65.
- <5> SSO1446 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 Map, 1978. 1:10,000. SS84SW.
- <6> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 21 April 1987.
- <7> SSO1146 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 26.4.1996. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <8> SSO1838 Map: RCHME. 1989. 1:1000.
- <9> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 August 1996.
- <10> SMO1487 Photograph: Pitcher, S.. 1965. HEATHER COVERED CAIRN AT PORLOCK FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F173/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <11> SMO1486 Photograph: Pitcher, S.. 1965. HEATHER COVERED CAIRN AT PORLOCK FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F173/2. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <12> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <13> SEM8002 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Dig Porlock: Earthwork surveys on Porlock Allotment. 3, 4, 5, 13.
- <14> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <15> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36264, Extant 21 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8400 4469 (6m by 6m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36264 (Pastscape entry: 36264)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11538
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW22
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36264
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33933
Record last edited
Jun 21 2021 10:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.