MSO7945 - Hut Circle, Porlock Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The remains of a prehistoric hut circle are visible at SS 8446 4431. It consists of a sub-circular platform 10.8 metres in diameter, cut into the hillside by 0.4 metres and defined by an earthen bank 3 metres wide and 0.4 metres high, which is continuous except where it has been damaged on the southern side; also an entrance, 3.8 metres wide, is visible on the north-western side. Surveyed with GPS, August 1996.  The site was subject to magnetometry and resistivity survey in April 2013. The magnetometry survey was dominated by iron / shrapnel and gave no convincing structural evidence for the platform. The resistivity survey also failed to provide evidence for a stone component to the earthwork, an internal stone structure or any ditches or gullies. This may indicate that this earthwork marked a small enclosure or activity area.  This was surveyed during a measured field survey undertaken as part of the Dig Porlock project, run by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <2> SEM7964 Report: Gillings, M & Taylor, J. 2013. Porlock Allotment, Exmoor: Geophysical Survey. 3-5, 10.
- <3> SEM8002 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Dig Porlock: Earthwork surveys on Porlock Allotment. 3, 9, 14.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8446 4430 (12m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1072389 (Pastscape entry: 1072389)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10199
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW142
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1072389
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15647
Record last edited
Nov 13 2013 2:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.