MSO8847 - St Mary's Church and Churchyard, Brompton Regis
|Name:||St Mary's Church and Churchyard, Brompton Regis|
|Type of Record:||Building|
|Grid Reference:||SS 9513 3148|
|Parish:||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
The Parish Church of St Mary has a 13th Century tower and has undergone major restoration on a number of occasions.
Church of St. Mary. 2003 © Exmoor National Park Authority
- CHURCHYARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Unclassified))
- CHURCH (AD 13th Century to AD 16th Century - 1200 AD to 1599 AD (Unclassified))
- Listed Building (II*) 1057978: CHURCH OF ST MARY
St Mary's Church is marked at SS 95143149. 
St Mary's church consists of chancel, nave, south transept, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The tower is 13th century and was added to an earlier nave and chancel. About 100 years later the south wall of the nave was altered, and early in the 14th century the south transept appears to have been built, but of this only a little walling remains. Early in the 16th century the north aisle was added. In 1853-54 the church underwent a drastic restoration with much rebuilding and removal of old fittings. 
Listed Grade B, the Church of St Mary is a small, plain, mainly perpendicular building, with some restored, decorated windows. It contains a nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, and west tower. It has a plain two stage tower, with diagonal buttresses to the lower stage, an embattled parapet, and single bell chamber windows. The interior has an arcade of four bays, "Devon" capitals to some piers, an unceiled wagon roof to the nave, and a 17th century carved wooden pulpit. 
The church is in normal use. 
The graveyard has been in use since medieval times. 
St Mary's Parish Church has a 13th century tower. In c1490 the nave was rebuilt with the north aisle, and was restored in 1853 and 1885 when reroofed. The chancel was rebuilt and the south transept added. The tower was restored in 1895, and the chapel restored in 1962. There is a single storey gabled porch, 19th century pointed arch outer doorway, and a 15th century moulded pointed arch inner doorway, partly renewed with a 19th century door. The pointed arch opening between the chancel and nave now giving access to the pulpit, which is dated 1625. The font is 19th century. The organ in the south transept has a plaque that reads: "Restored George Ormond, Taunton"; the pipes are painted battleship grey. This may be the same "pretty organ case in the Arts and Crafts style" that Pevsner commented on.  The organ is said in the church guide to be by T.C. Lewis, 1872, and the case dated 1897. 
A white marble Nowy-headed tablet on a black marble backboard commemorates Lieut. Fenwick C Stevens of the Kings Own RLR, who died on 7th September 1918 at Arras, France, in World War One. 
An archaeological watching brief was required during drainage works undertaken in conjunction with the construction of toilet facilities and the erection of a Tea Bar within the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary. No archaeological features were observed or recorded during the drainage excavations and only a limited number of unmarked burials were identified adjacent to the church. Limited disturbance was caused to the existing internal fabric of the church during the removal of Victorian pews and the consolidation of the existing floor. 
The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
<1> Ordnance Survey, 1902-1907, County Series, Second Edition 25 Inch Map (Map). SEM7190.
<2> Eeles F.C., 1928, Somerset Churches Near Dulverton, P.20-22 (Monograph). SSO1110.
<3> Department of the Environment, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest , Dulverton Rural District, Somerset. -/09/1955. 1 (Index). SMO5109.
<4> Pevsner, N., 1958, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, P.101-102 (Monograph). SMO5711.
<5> Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments, GH Pitcher, 4 August 1965 (Unpublished document). SMO5103.
<6> Allen, N.V., 1974, Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, P.42 (Monograph). SSO727.
<7> Oral Information or Staff Comments, Aston, M. Somerset County Council. 29/11/1976 (Verbal communication). SMO5308.
<8> Department of the Environment, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest , 36th List, District of West Somerset. 04/08/1986 (Index). SMO5109.
<9> Imperial War Museum, United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials, UKNIWM reference 24411 (Website). SSO693.
<10> 1914, Kellys Directory (Index). SSO281.
<11> Broomhead, R.A., 2010, Brompton Regis, Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary: An Archaeological Watching Brief (Report). SEM7535.
<12> Lawrence, G., 2014, Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13 (Report). SEM8060.
|MSO10313||Parent of: War Memorial, St Mary's Churchyard, Brompton Regis (Monument)|
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1648/4/28
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601453
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10815
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11089
- Local List Status (Unassessed)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36682
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31350
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33386
|Date Last Edited:||Jan 8 2018 12:24PM|
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please