Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST MARY (1057978)

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1648, 4, 28
Date assigned 06 April 1959
Date last amended
Date revoked
SS93SE BROMPTON REGIS CP BROMPTON REGIS VILLAGE 4/28 Church of St Mary (formerly listed as Church of St Mary the Virgin) 6.4.59 GV II* Parish church. C13 tower, c1490 nave rebuilt with north aisle, restored 1853 and 1885 when reroofed, chancel rebuilt and south transept added, tower restored 1895, chapel restored 1962. Random rubble local stone, flat bedded in tower, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave, south transept, south porch, 4-bay north aisle and chapel, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to first stage pair of louvred lancet bell-openings, string course, narrow lancet, C19 2-light west window; 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, C19 pointed arch outer doorway, C15 moulded pointed arch inner doorway partly renewed with C19 door, 3-light to transept, diagonal infill at junction with nave, similar to that at Church of St Nicholas, Brushford CP (qv), priests floor, 2-light south chancel window, 3-light east end, 4-light to east end of chapel with set back buttresses, one 3-light window left of square rood stair projection with lancet, 4 right between stepped buttresses, 3-light west end. Interior: rendered. Pointed C19 tower and chancel arches, former with corbelled inner arch, similar to south transept. C19 open timber roofs. Perpendicular arcade with vine-leaf capitals, eastern capital recarved. Hollow chamfer 4-centred arch to rood stair with stairs in situ; small arched niche in south chapel, presumably aumbry; trefoil headed opening in north side of chancel wall, possibly hagioscope but not set diagonally. Pointed arch opening between chancel and nave now giving access to pulpit. Pulpit dated 1625. C19 font. Organ in sout transept with plaque: "Restored George Ormond, Taunton"; the pipes are painted battleship grey. Can this be the same "pretty organ case in the Arts and Crafts style" which Pevsner commented on? The organ is said in the church guide to be by T C Lewis, 1872, and the case dated 1897. Brass in chancel to Joan Dyke, died 1605, and her husband Thomas, died 1639; memorial to Elizabeth Joyce, died l794, in chancell floor slab to John Mellon, died l703, in nave. (Kellys Directory, 1914; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958). Listing NGR: SS9513931488

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference Centred SS 95139 31488 (27m by 20m)
Map sheet SS93SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)