MSO9039 - Brendon Hill Village (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The settlement of Brendon Hill owes its existence to 19th century mining in particular Raleigh's Cross mine, for when this opened in 1852 there were no houses nearby and the miners lodged in local farms or nearby villages. By 1854 accommodation was needed and the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company leased Sea View House for staff use and the outbuildings for the workers. By 1863 there were four cottages at the mine itself, two terraces of six cottages known as Church Cottages and Beulah Cottages, five dwellings near the incline known as Turf Huts, the wooden huts in the goods yard of the incline to house the labourers working on the Gupworthy extension and three larger two-storey houses at Sminhays known as Somerset Terrace. All were of stone with slate roofs except for Church Cottages which were thatched. In 1865 15 more cottages were built known as Sea View Terrace and the Turf Huts were replaced by Brick Cottages. In total there were 60 cottages for 250 miners. To complete the village there was an Anglican corrugated iron church, a Bible Christian chapel also used as a school, shop, temperance house, reading room and a bank.  Examination of aerial photographs revealed that the buildings of Brendon Hill village were in various states of preservation. Sea View House (ST 0250 3445), Beulah Chapel (ST 0276 3429), Temperance House (ST 0230 3438) and the Brampton House Stores (ST 0212 3415) were still extant. Beulah Cottages (ST 0264 3438), the cottages of Raleigh's Cross mine (ST 0249 3424), Sea View Terrace (ST 0236 3400), Brick Row (ST 0240 3442) which replaced Turf Huts and cottages (ST 0207 3418) near the limekilns were visible as earthworks. Church Cottages (ST 0238 3459) and the cottages (ST 0231 3438) near Temperance House were masked by trees and there was no trace on aerial photographs of the Anglican corrugated iron church at ST 0233 3447. [6-10] About 55 dwellings were constructed by the mine company including a Temperance Hotel at circa ST 02303438 and Sea View House, the Mine Captain's accomodation.  A Welsh mining engineer set up the Ebbw Vale Mining Company, with headquarters in Esplanade House, Watchet. In 1852 they began work at the Raleighs Cross mine, with a railway built in 1856 to carry the iron ore down to Watchet, to be shipped to South Wales for smelting. Several hundred miners came from other parts (largely Cornwall) and dozens of cottages for built for the family men. A large number of the Cornish were Methodists, either Wesleyans or Bible Christians, and for a short time services were held in a room at Beverton Farm [ST 0270 3360, outside National Park]. Then the local Bible Christians got together and bought a plot of land for £5 from the Company and built the chapel, which opened for worship on 31st May 1861 (MEM15269). In 1860 and Anglican 'tin church' (that is, corrugated iron) was built near the top of the incline in the charge of Rev JB Vernon, curate of Luxborough. This also accommodated a school and Sunday school. A 'Good Templars Mountain Hope' Lodge was built on site in 1860. A reading room known as "The Miners' Literary Institute" was established in November 1865 at the Raleighs Cross mine, but most of the village organisations were concerned with temperance, with organisations formed such as the 'Brendon Hill & Gupworthy Temperance Society', the 'Brendon Hill Teetotal Fife and Drum Band' and a 'Brendon Hill Choir'. In 1878-9 the mines were closed down and the mining families moved away. The five remaining members struggled on until 1889, when the chapel closed. Sunday School work continued, however, although it is not clear where. In 1907 the railway reopened for mineral and passenger traffic and mining resumed. The Reverend TC Jacob (the circuit minister) called a meeting of local representatives to the chapel, who supported his proposal to restore the chapel and the contract for £139 was won by Messrs Sully and Son of Stogumber. The chapel reopened in 1910 and stayed open, despite the mines closing once more.  The nearest licenced establishments were at Raleigh's Cross (outside the National Park boundary) and at Heath Poult Cross. The Raleigh's Cross Hotel throve with trade from the mining colony. 
- <1> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. 31, 55-61.
- <2> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 58(3).
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Pers comm Burrow I SCPD.
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 0134.
- <5> SSO200 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1981. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 4861.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3143-3144 23-JAN-1947.
- <7> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR ST0234/8 (15421/22) 15-MAY-1996.
- <8> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR ST0234/11 (15448/03) 15-MAY-1996.
- <9> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR ST0234/13 (15448/08) 15-MAY-1996.
- <10> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR ST0234/14 (15448/06) 15-MAY-1996.
- <11> SEM7035 Report: Croft, R.A.. 1992. The West Somerset Mineral Railway Research Design. P.4.
- <12> SEM6840 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1993. West Somerset Mineral Railway Research Design Summary Report. P.15.
- <13> SEM7045 Report: Coate, S.. The Brendon Hills Iron Industry. P.16-18.
- <14> SSO160 Aerial photograph: 1994. DAP VU 8-9, 04.03.93; WD9-11,16-22.
- <15> SEM8535 Leaflet: Glyn Court, A.W.. Unknown. The Bible Christians 1815-1907: A worldwide family. N/A.
- <16> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 132.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 024 344 (391m by 325m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Parent of: 19th Century structures east of Heather House (Monument) (MEM24660)
- Parent of: Beulah Chapel (Building) (MEM15269)
- Parent of: Beulah Cottages (Building) (MEM15272)
- Parent of: Brick Row, Brendon Hill (Building) (MEM15275)
- Parent of: Heather House and Railway Terrace, Brendon Hill (Building) (MEM15277)
- Parent of: Hill House, former Mine Captain's House (Building) (MEM15270)
- Parent of: Sea View Barns, Brendon Hill (Building) (MEM15271)
- Parent of: Sea View Terrace, Brendon Hill (Building) (MEM15273)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1114687 (Original Monarch entry: 1114687)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11523
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW35
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1114687
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33917
Record last edited
May 28 2019 4:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.