MSO8865 - Raleigh's Cross Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
For complete data about the Mine please see the Somerset HER entry. This record relates solely to the small peripheral area of the mine within the National Park boundary. [1,2] Raleigh's Cross Pit was one of the mines of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company. Work started in 1852 and by 1879 three shafts reached 692 feet. An adit was cut below Sea View House (MSO10001) to drain the mine, but was unsuccessful so an engine was installed. The main period of expansion was between 1858-72, with a decline from 1879 due to falling demand, although there was some late 19th Century reworking. Buildings included separate winding house and engine, locomotive shed, carpenters shop, offices, powder magazine (ST 0275 3410) and round house (ST 0249 3427).  The Exmoor National Mapping Project data includes a record of the adit near Sea View House. [4-7] Remains of former mine head structures, buildings and railway structures, located adjacent to the north and south sides of the B3190 respectively.  It is possible the first workings on this site date to 1849-50. The mine was connected to the then unfinished West Somerset Mineral Railway Incline in May 1858. By 1865 the mine had a separate winding and pumping engine, the only Brendon Hills mine to be so equipped. Raleigh's Cross Mine was the last of the Brendon's mines to close in September 1883. The buildings were demolished by the Somerset Mineral Syndicate in 1907 and the rubble used as ballast for the reopened incline.  Buildings on the National Park side of the boundary included a round house at ST 0249 3427, two linear structures on the northern side of the Old Cleeve Parish boundary and a linear structure to the east of the Round House. 
- <1> SEM8552 Archive: South West Heritage Trust. 1977-. Somerset Historic Environment Record. PRN 33414.
- <2> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 28 May 2019.
- <3> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4019-4020 (19 May 1947).
- <5> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR ST 0234/14 (15448/06) (15 May 1996).
- <6> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR ST 0234/7 (15421/21) (15 May 1996).
- <7> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. P.36.
- <7> SMO6672 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, ST 03 SW.
- <8> SEM7046 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Notes on some of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines and the West Somerset Mineral Railway. P.15.
- <9> SEM7038 Unpublished document: Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. 1990. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society Visit to the Brendon Hills. P.4-5.
- <10> SEM7045 Report: Coate, S.. The Brendon Hills Iron Industry. P.5-6.
- <11> SEM7643 Monograph: Jones, M.H.. 2011. The Brendon Hills Iron Mines and the West Somerset Mineral Railway: A New Account. Lightmoor Press. 188 Figure 188.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0250 3422 (222m by 122m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975386 (Pastscape entry: 975386)
- https://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/33414 (Somerset HER entry: 33414)
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW25
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975386
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33414
Record last edited
May 28 2019 4:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.