MSO8964 - Smoky Bottom Pit (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
"Smoky Bottom Pit" is marked on the 6" map of 1962 and the 25" map of 1904. [1,2] Little is known of its history but it had ceased operations by 1867. It was owned by the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company and was also known as the Smallcombe Bottom Mine.  Located at SS 9785 3525 is elongated spoil heap associated with the above mentioned Smokey Bottom ironstone mine. The tip was seen as an earthwork and mapped from aerial photographs. [5,6] By 1865 the depth of the shaft was such that the portable engine at Smoky Bottom Pit was not able to effectively drain the mine. Rather than construct a permanent engine house, Smoky Bottom mine was connected with the new engine drift at Langham Hill, approximately 350 metres to the north. The Langham Hill drift was sunk in 1886 and a cross cut driven south, undercutting and draining Smoky Bottom. Winding from the surface at Smoky Bottom subsequently ceased, the engine removed and timber structure dismantled. As at Langham Hill, the new owner of the Chargot Estate, James Harvey Insole insisted that all mining remains at Smoky Bottom be covered with spoil, presumably imported from Langham Hill. The engine house was excavated in 1985-1986 by the Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society.  The shaft is situated at circa SS 97793512, its location marked by two beech trees.  Following the partial uncovering of stonework adjacent to a 19th Century iron mine, members of SIAS began an excavation to record and interpret the remains. Although the mine's operating period was believed to be of short duration, preliminary results suggest at least two phases of construction. 
- <1> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE.
- <2> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 58(1).
- <3> SSO1911 Monograph: Sellick R. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway. 40.
- <4> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 6.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3337.
- <6> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3338.
- <7> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <8> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. P.28.
- <9> SEM7046 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Notes on some of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines and the West Somerset Mineral Railway. P.12.
- <10> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. P.15.
- <11> SEM7038 Unpublished document: Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. 1990. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society Visit to the Brendon Hills. P3-4.
- <12> SSO1413 Article in serial: Murless, B. 1986. in Dennison, E "Somerset Archaeology 1986". Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society 130. 130. 160.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 979 352 (181m by 65m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127751 (Original Monarch entry: 1127751)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO799
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11084
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE39
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127751
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33381
Record last edited
Apr 30 2018 11:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.