MSO8965 - Smoky Bottom Level (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
"Smoky Bottom level, disused" is marked on the 6" and 25" maps. It was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company mines, likely to have been an adit, but little is known of its history. Low banks making three small enclosures with a cluster of narrow linear depressions were noted on aerial photographs. [1-7] The site of Smoky Bottom Level is in a valley bottom, now used for rough pasture. No surface indications of the mine could be seen.  The site has been levelled by ploughing and spoil removed for hardcore. Water issuing from the adit is piped to the stream about 100 metres to the south.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS93NE.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, 58(1).
- <3> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second.
- <4> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 6.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3337.
- <6> SMO7525 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NE. AF1133887.
- <7> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9735.
- <8> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, March 1999.
- <9> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. P.15.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1127755, Extant 19 April 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 978 350 (59m by 112m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127755 (Original Monarch entry: 1127755)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11085
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE40
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1127755
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33382
Record last edited
Apr 19 2022 4:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.