MSO8881 - Post-medieval and modern fishponds to the west of Withiel Florey (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
St Joseph aerial photograph shows probable 16th or 17th Century fishponds and water system.  Area comprises six artificial ponds with leats. [2,3] A series of fishponds and water meadows to the west of Withiel Florey and St Mary Magdalene's Church. The fishponds centred at SS 9840 3325 are marked as extant and water filled on the Ordnance Survey 10,000 scale map but are not visible on RAF vertical photographs dating back to 1947. This suggests that they are modern in origin. One fish pond however, is likely to be earlier, probably post-medieval, and is located at SS 9855 3338. To the north of these fish ponds, at SS 9850 3347, is a water meadow system of probable post-medieval date. [5-7] The ponds were probably originally associated with the house at Withial Florey (MSO12661) and are shown on the Tithe map of 1839 . The present ponds are more recent. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, SCPD, 29 November 1976.
- <2> SSO262 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 99. 8813.
- <3> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9833.
- <4> SSO1179 Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the Catch Meadow Irrigation Systems. 41.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3148.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4023-4 19-MAY-1947.
- <7>XY SMO6666 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93SE. [Mapped feature: #39530 ]
- <8> SSO711 Map: Pursey, R.P.. 1839. Withiel Florey Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1".
- <9> SSO2105 Report: Wilson North, R. 1998. An 18th-century house and park at Withial Florey. RCHME report.
- <10> SEM6 Report: Wilson-North, R.. 1998. An 18th Century House and Park at Withiel Florey.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 984 333 (370m by 236m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Part of: Withiel Florey House, Withiel Florey (Monument) (MSO12661)
- Related to: Post-medieval water meadow at Higher Eastcott Farm (Monument) (MMO762)
- Related to: Post-medieval water meadow at Swansea Farm (Monument) (MMO680)
- Related to: Post-medieval water meadow north of St Mary Magdalene's Church (Monument) (MMO760)
- Related to: Post-medieval water meadow south of Lower Eastcott Farm (Monument) (MMO761)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1118120 (Original Monarch entry: 1118120)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO669
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11093
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE9
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1118120
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33390
Record last edited
Jan 27 2020 11:29AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.