MSO8018 - Medieval packhorse bridge at Allerford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 9060 4691] F.B. (NAT)  Allerford Bridge, a packhorse bridge of two segmental arches, with a roadway width of 4 feet.  Scheduled.  The bridge is as described. See GP AO/65/181/6. [4,9] Grade II*. Probably of medieval origin. Restored. Narrow stone bridge on two segmental arches, cobbled footway, stone parapets. Central cutwater to east side. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 212). (Photograph in NMR) . [5,6] Additional bibliography. [7,8] One small low layered stone cutwater upstream. The arches are shallow and flattened in shape. The bridge and cobbled path are in very good repair. There is an adjacent ford.  Scheduling affirmed with new national number (was Somerset 200) on 3 September 2002.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 7.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 8.  The feature is depicted and labelled "FB" (or footbridge) on the 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SSO1953 Monograph: Thompson, W.H.. 1934. Somerset Regional Survey. P. 57.
- <3> SEM7745 Index: Ministry of Works. 1961. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. P. 84.
- <4> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 July 1963.
- <5> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) Williton RD Somer (March 1962) 71.
- <6> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SMO5764 Monograph: Jervoise, E.. 1930. The Ancient Bridges of the South of England. Architectural Press. P. 113-4.
- <8> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. P. 76.
- <9> SMO1448 Photograph: ALLERFORD BRIDGE - MEDIEVAL PACKHORSE BRIDGE AT SELWORTHY FROM SOUTH. OS65/F181/6. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <10> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <11> SSO1145 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 25/9/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <12> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <13> SEM7907 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2004. Allerford Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
- <13> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <14> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
- <15>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #42913 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9051 4691 (11m by 8m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: 2012-3: SV - Listed Buildings Condition Survey (EEM14564)
- Event - Survey: 2014: DBA - Exmoor Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey (EEM14294)
- Event - Intervention: Desktop Assesment and Watching Brief (2002), Allerford Bridge, Allerford (ESO6)
- Event - Intervention: Field observation on SS 94 NW 17 (EMO9941)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (2003), Allerford Packhorse Bridge (ESO11)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167468 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167468)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36812 (Original Monarch entry: 36812)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/25/73
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10706
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11995
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW17
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167468
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36812
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34625
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31202
Record last edited
Jan 11 2021 4:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.