Scheduled Monument: Allerford packhorse bridge, immediately north of Cross Lane Farm
Department for Culture, Media and Sport
17 April 1951
Date last amended
03 September 2002
The monument includes a medieval packhorse bridge which crosses the Aller Brook between Higher Allerford and Cross Lane Farm. The bridge, which is known as Allerford packhorse bridge, is constructed in red sandstone random-rubble with two arches separated by a central pillar which has an angled cutwater on the eastern, upstream side. The arches are segmental in shape with random-rubble voussoirs and those on the western, downstream side have a slightly flattened shape. The bridge pathway is of cobbled stone with an average width of 1.3m between coped parapet walls which are 0.5m high and 0.3m wide. The parapet walls on the north side of the bridge splay outwards and extend for a further 1.9m on the west side. A deep ford is located adjacent to the east side of the packhorse bridge. The bridge is Listed Grade II*. All fencing and fence posts are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.
Book Reference - Title: National Monuments Record - Type: DESC TEXT - Description: SS 94 NW 17
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 8000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.