MSO8014 - Late prehistoric flint east of Selworthy Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Flint arrowheads and implements from a 'floor' near Selworthy, exhibited to the Society by AV Cornish.  The Cornish Collection in Taunton Museum contains a number of Mesolithic or Neolithic flint and chert implements. They include, gravers, arrowheads, fabricators, flakes, thumb scrapers, cores and knives, and were found between 1925 and 1935 in a field at SS 923 471 on the east side of Selworthy Combe. The field is under pasture.  A re-touched flint flake was found at approximately SS 9260 4710.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 77 (1931), 14 or 45.
- <2> SSO564 Collection: Somerset County Museum Cornish Collection.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. NV Quinnell, 15 June 1965.
- <4> SSO1410 Unpublished document: Morcom, D. 28.7.89. Morcom, D. to Somerset County Council.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36783, Extant 10 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 924 470 (394m by 199m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
- THUMB NAIL SCRAPER (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
- CORE (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
- FLAKE (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
- ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- GRAVER (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- FABRICATOR (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- KNIFE (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Neolithic and Bronze Age flint at Blackford Farm (Monument) (MSO8013)
- Related to: Neolithic or Bronze Age flint implement finds east of Blackford (Monument) (MSO12187)
- Related to: Prehistoric flint implement finds northwest of Blackford (Monument) (MSO12186)
- Related to: Prehistoric flint southwest of Piles Mill (Find Spot) (MSO8024)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36783 (Original Monarch entry: 36783)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11583
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW8
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36783
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33989
Record last edited
May 10 2022 1:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.