MSO8014 - Prehistoric flint east of Selworthy Combe (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Flint arrowheads and implements from a 'floor' near Selworthy, exhibited to the Society by AV Cornish.  The Cornish Collection in Taunton Museum contains a number of Mesolithic or Neolithic flint and chert implements. They include, gravers, arrowheads, fabricators, flakes, thumb scrapers, cores and knives, and were found between 1925 and 1935 in a field at SS 923 471 on the east side of Selworthy Combe. The field is under pasture.  A re-touched flint flake was found at approximately SS 9260 4710. 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 77 (1931), 14 or 45.
- <2> SSO564 Collection: Somerset County Museum Cornish Collection.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. NV Quinnell, 15 June 1965.
- <4> SSO1410 Unpublished document: Morcom, D. 28.7.89. Morcom, D. to Somerset County Council.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 924 470 (394m by 199m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
- THUMB NAIL SCRAPER (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
- CORE (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
- FLAKE (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
- ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- GRAVER (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- FABRICATOR (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- KNIFE (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 10000 BC to 2201 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Flint implement finds, Selworthy (Monument) (MSO12187)
- Related to: Neolithic and Bronze Age flint at Blackford Farm (Monument) (MSO8013)
- Related to: Prehistoric flint implement finds northwest of Blackford (Monument) (MSO12186)
- Related to: Prehistoric flint southwest of Piles Mill (Find Spot) (MSO8024)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36783 (Original Monarch entry: 36783)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11583
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW8
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36783
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33989
Record last edited
Mar 5 2019 5:12PM