MSO8013 - Neolithic and Bronze Age flint at Blackford Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Worked flint flake or knife, length 2.25 inches, found at Blackford and presented to the County Museum, Taunton by Mr Braunton.  The worked flake or knife recorded by Gray is in Taunton Museum. There are no details concerning its provenance but it is likely to have been found in the fields of Blackford Farm. A collection of over 100 flints has been made from these fields between 1940 and 1945 by Miss M Hatch-Barnwell. They comprise cores, scrapers, fabricators, Neolithic and Bronze Age arrowheads, found over a wide area but particularly concentrated in the fields called Great Wood, SS 9270 4468; Six Acres, SS 9234 4560; Great Cooklands, SS 9161 4560; Broadfield, SS 9275 4515; Knappy, SS 9235 4450; and Higher Holt, SS 9235 4440. The field names were identified by Mr Riddler. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO737 Article in serial: Anon (H St George Gray). 1916. Additions to the Museum. From January 1st to December 31st, 1916. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 62. I, pp 60-80. Volume 62 (1916), 40.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Miss M Hatch-Barnwell, New House, The Parks, Minehead.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mr JK Riddler, Blackford Farm, Selworthy.
- <4> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey, F1, 15 June 1965.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36780, Extant 13 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 91 44 (1000m by 1000m) (3 map features)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Late prehistoric flint east of Selworthy Combe (Monument) (MSO8014)
- Related to: Neolithic or Bronze Age flint implement finds east of Blackford (Monument) (MSO12187)
- Related to: Prehistoric flint implement finds northwest of Blackford (Monument) (MSO12186)
- Related to: Prehistoric flint southwest of Piles Mill (Find Spot) (MSO8024)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36780 (Pastscape entry: 36780)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12189
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW7
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36780
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35234
Record last edited
Oct 13 2021 1:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.