MSO7758 - Yenworthy Farmhouse, Oare (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmhouse at Yenworthy Farm is still occupied and in excellent condition. The external features date from the 19th Century and date 1850 appears on top of the porch. The carved date of 1628 in the lobby comes from a salvaged ceiling beam. It is possible that the house is a 17th Century wing extending an earlier house. [1, 2] The farmhouse was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The name 'worthy' may indicate that the farmstead has Saxon origins. A farmstead is shown here on the Tithe map dated 1842. [4, 5] The building is shown on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 November 1995.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . West Somerset (2 January 1986) 1076, 15.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Shirley Blaylock, 4 August 2014.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41100 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8063 4877 (22m by 17m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524868 (Original Monarch entry: 524868)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/2/26/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/2/26/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10659
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW30
- NBR Index Number: 45876
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524868
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31150
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 10:29AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.