MSO7758 - Yenworthy Farmhouse, Oare (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmhouse at Yenworthy Farm is still occupied and in excellent condition. The external features date from the 19th Century and date 1850 appears on top of the porch. The carved date of 1628 in the lobby comes from a salvaged ceiling beam. It is possible that the house is a 17th Century wing extending an earlier house. [1, 2] The farmhouse was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The name 'worthy' may indicate that the farmstead has Saxon origins. A farmstead is shown here on the Tithe map dated 1842. [4, 5] The building is shown on 2018 MasterMap data.  A file containing information on the property was compiled by RCHME.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 November 1995.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . West Somerset (2 January 1986) 1076, 15.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Shirley Blaylock, 4 August 2014.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41100 ]
- <7> SEM341013 Archive: Unknown. 1995-1997. Volume: Yenworthy Farm, Oare.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 524868, Extant 22 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8063 4877 (22m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (4)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524868 (Original Monarch entry: 524868)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/2/26/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/2/26/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10659
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW30
- NBR Index Number: 45876
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 524868
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31150
Record last edited
Feb 22 2022 3:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.