MSO10660 - Post-medieval barn at Yenworthy Farm, Oare (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Barn and wall abutting archway. Circa 1850. Red sandstone random rubble, brick dressings, asbestos slate roof, slate coping to wall. Plan: wall abutting Yenworthy Farmhouse pierced by doorway and carriagewat entrance into foldyard, barn abutting set into rising ground with cellar below on wall side. Wall, semi-circular headed doorway opening with segmental headed carriageway opening right. Barn, double doors with gabled porch, square window to left, left return bulls eye window in gable end, window below and C20 window to cellar inserted in place of doorway. Forms a good group with Yenworthy Farmhouse (qv).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265440. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  Stone, Random rubble walls. Gabled roof  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps show that the barn originally extended further to the southeast, with an engine house positioned on the southeast gable end. This housed the water wheel discussed in MSO11496. [4,5] The engine house still appears to have been extant when the 1946-8 RAF aerial photographs were taken for this area.  The barn and wall was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  A structure is present at this location on the 1842 Oare Tithe map, though the engine house appears to not be present.  SS 8068 4872. In 1977, D Warren reported a 16 foot water wheel constructed by WC Radford of Barnstaple, covered by the collapsed roof of a barn at Yenworthy Farm. The water was piped from a pond and the wheel was used to work a barn thresher (see MSO11496 for further details). 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <8> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <9> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 29 November 1977.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8065 4875 (28m by 31m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/2/27/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/2/27/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31151
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 4:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.