MEM22690 - Post-medieval farm buildings at Yenworthy Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Information from English Heritage advises that there are various outbuildings at Yenworthy Farm, one of which has a water wheel attached. [1, 2] The listing description for Yenworthy Farmhouse includes a random rubble wall with an arched opening, about 1.5 metres in height that runs between the northwest corner of the left return gable end of the farmhouse to the wing at thr rear and including a lean-to shed.  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps for this area show a building occupying the space south of the listed wall. It is L-shaped and joins the still extant buildings at SS 80644 48784. It is not clear if this structure was built as a lean to on the wall or the wall represents part of the original larger structure. [4, 5] The building mentioned above appears to have still been extant on the 1946-8 aerial photographs in this area.  The wall was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Three structures are present at this location on the 1842 Oare Tithe map, depicting elements of the extant farm buildings. 
- <1> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 November 1995.
- <2> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch / National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry - viewable via Pastscape. Monarch reference 524868.
- <3> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <8> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8063 4877 (65m by 49m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524868 (Original Monarch entry: 524868)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW30
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524868
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31150
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 12:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.