MSO7475 - Bearland Wood Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
This disused mine was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company works. Work was started here in 1854 after successful trials. It was closed in the 1880s. The shafts are still visible as earthworks. The mine also had two associated cottages which are still extant. [1-4] The site was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore mines. Work started in 1854 after initial research in the 1830s at SS 9747 3575 (Trial pit). New adits sunk to the northwest (SS 9740 3585 and SS 9742 3581) which were very successful. 12,000 tons of brown haematite were brought out and carried to Lanham Hill Mine (MSO7476) by a temporary incline worked by horse whims. The mine was closed in the 1880s. The mine also has two cottages for workers.  Other remains include air shaft with chimney (SS 9732 3578).  "Pit (disused)" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division 6 inch map.  Mining remains in Bearland Wood are centred at SS 9745 3590 and comprise two adits with attendant spoil heaps, and the site of a third adit, the remains of a building recently exposed by the Exmoor Mines Research Group and believed to be Lethbridge's smelting furnace of the 1840s, and a chimney, flue and shaft constructed to ventilate one of the adits. All now lie within forestry plantations. Surveyed with EDM and GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor Project. [9-11] SS 9734 3577. Ventilation flue in Chargot Wood. The ventilation chimney was scheduled on 28 August 2001.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  Additional bibliography. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS93NE.
- <2> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. P. 28,40-41,61.
- <3> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. P. 5.
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, SCPD, 2 September 1986.
- <5> SEM7045 Report: Coate, S.. The Brendon Hills Iron Industry. P. 5.
- <6> SSO1625 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1935. 6" SS93NE.
- <7> SSO215 Technical drawing: HBC 3.003.-1 1:2500.
- <8> SEM7046 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Notes on some of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines and the West Somerset Mineral Railway.
- <9> SEM341064 Technical drawing: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1999. Bearland Wood/pencil survey. Unknown. Permatrace. Pencil.
- <10> SEM341063 Technical drawing: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1999. Bearland Wood/ink survey. Unknown. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <11> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, March 1999.
- <12> SSO1148 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 26/9/2001. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <13> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1128076, Updated 25 April 2022.
- <14> SEM341072 Article in serial: Jones, M.H.. 2006. The Brendon Hills Industrial Survey 1993–2005. Industrial Archaeology Review. 28. Part 2, pp 97-106.
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128076 (Original Monarch entry: 1128076)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11387
- Local List Status (Rejected)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE58
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1128076
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33743
|Grid reference||Centred SS 974 358 (208m by 348m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: Adit no 1 at Bearland Wood Iron Mine (Monument) (MEM15305)
- Parent of: Adit no 2 at Bearland Wood Iron Mine (Monument) (MEM15306)
- Parent of: Bearland Wood Ironstone Mine Ventilation Flue (Monument) (MEM15332)
- Parent of: Incline, Langham Hill (Monument) (MEM15353)
- Parent of: Lethbridge's Smelting Furnace (Monument) (MEM15352)
- Related to: Langham Hill Pit (Monument) (MSO7476)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2022 2:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.