MSO7475 - Bearland Wood Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
This disused mine was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company works. Work was started here in 1854 after successful trials. It was closed in the 1880s. The shafts are still visible as earthworks. The mine also had two associated cottages which are still extant. [1-4] The site was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore mines. Work started in 1854 after initial research in the 1830s at SS 9747 3575 (Trial pit). New adits sunk to the northwest (SS 9740 3585 and SS 9742 3581) which were very successful. 12,000 tons of brown haematite were brought out and carried to Lanham Hill Mine (MSO7476) by a temporary incline worked by horse whims. The mine was closed in the 1880s. The mine also has two cottages for workers.  Other remains include air shaft with chimney (SS 9732 3578).  "Pit (disused)" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division 6 inch map.  The ventilation chimney was scheduled on 28 August 2001. 
- <1> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE.
- <2> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. P. 28,40-41,61.
- <3> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. P. 5.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, SCPD 2 September 1986.
- <5> SEM7045 Report: Coate, S.. The Brendon Hills Iron Industry. P. 5.
- <6> SSO1625 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1935. 6" SS93NE.
- <7> SSO215 Technical drawing: HBC 3.003.-1 1:2500.
- <8> SSO1148 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 26/9/2001. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 974 358 (208m by 348m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: Adit no 1 at Bearland Wood Iron Mine (Monument) (MEM15305)
- Parent of: Adit no 2 at Bearland Wood Iron Mine (Monument) (MEM15306)
- Parent of: Bearland Wood Ironstone Mine Ventilation Flue (Monument) (MEM15332)
- Parent of: Incline, Langham Hill (Monument) (MEM15353)
- Parent of: Lethbridge's Smelting Furnace (Monument) (MEM15352)
- Related to: Langham Hill Pit (Monument) (MSO7476)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128076 (Original Monarch entry: 1128076)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11387
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE58
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128076
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33743
Record last edited
Jan 13 2016 10:35AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.