MEM15306 - Adit no 2 at Bearland Wood Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Excavated cutting leading to a blocked entrance to mine adit, located adjacent to Smelting site.  The entrance to number 2 adit, centred on circa SS 97453585, has been blocked by the construction of a forestry road.  Bearland Wood No 2 adit is centred at SS 9745 3586. It now comprises a rock cut face 1.3 metres wide, but silting and collapse has obscured the opening, although water still issues from it. Recently short lengths of stone walling have been built near the adit mouth and other ground works have been undertaken. These have confused the remains. The spoil heap from the adit lies to the north, in the form of an elongated mound 130 metres long and 3.5 metres high. [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The Adit is marked on the 2022 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. P.28.
- <2> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. P.15.
- <3> SEM341064 Technical drawing: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1999. Bearland Wood/pencil survey. Unknown. Permatrace. Pencil.
- <4> SEM341063 Technical drawing: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1999. Bearland Wood/ink survey. Unknown. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, March 1999.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1128076, Updated 25 April 2022.
- <7> SEM340925 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2022. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||SS 9745 3585 (point) Approximate|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE58
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1128076
Record last edited
Apr 25 2022 8:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.