MEM15332 - Bearland Wood Ironstone Mine Ventilation Flue (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Ventilation flue built in 1860. Fragment of datestone which appears to have read (BHIO CO/MDX)XXLX found at bottom of stack in 1960. A recess in the stack from which the datestone may have fell can be seen half way up the south side of the stack. It is possible the adjoining air shaft was first sunk by Sir Thomas Lethbridge in 1840 as adit number one appears to have been driven outward from the shaft bottom.  The chimney was subject to a condition survey in March 2002. It was noted to be suffering from serious weather erosion of the mortar with the more pronounced wear occurring on the weather side, with a pronounced lean on this side.  Tall circular masonry chimney with surviving fire hearth. Surviving sections of air duct at ground level, which linked the chimney to the adit below. Upper part of chimney is missing and the surviving masonry is weathered and in need of repair.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 8.  The site was surveyed in July 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 8. 
- <1> SEM7046 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Notes on some of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines and the West Somerset Mineral Railway. P.4.
- <2> SEM8051 Report: PJ Stow & Associates. 2002. Bearland Wood Ventilation Flue, Chargot Woods: Condition Assessment Report.
- <3> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. P.28.
- <4> SEM6762 Article in serial: Olszewska, M.. 2009. The West Somerset Mineral Railway. The Old Mineral Line. Exmoor Visitor.
- <5> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||SS 973 357 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
Record last edited
Jan 13 2016 10:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.