MSO7454 - Chargot House (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 98023714). Chargot House (NAT).  House, 1826, possibly incorporating part of earlier dwelling, entrance resited early C20. For John Lethbridge. Ashlar facade, local slate roof, decorative pierced parapets on returns, coped verges, rendered stacks. Double pile with service wing at rear. 2 storeys, asymmetrical 4-bay frontage, first and third bays left projecting gable ends, end bay right gabled with flanking tourelles, pyramid stone roofs and rectangular recessed panels rising at first floor above original entrance bay, 2 and 3-light Tudor arch head surround to original entrance, now containing 3-light window, entrance now second bay left, inserted C20 door, glazed verandah between the projecting bays. Left return full height and single storey semi-circular bays with decorative pierced parapets, service wing to rear extending right; long left return, slate-hung to left , projecting dining room bay, gabled with flanking tourelles, blocked or blind windows in upper storey, to right full height canted bay with tourelle to right, exaggerated cinquefoil headed cusping to ground floor, slate roofed bay window. Interior: good early C18 stair, turned balusters, cut string and panelled dado, reset from farmhouse at Withiel Florey; Grinling Gibbons style overmantel cut down and reset as chimney piece in hall, imported from a house in Wiltshire.  The building is shown as 'Chargott Lodge' on the Luxborough Tithe Map.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SEM7222 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. 1:10000 Map, 1980. 1:10000.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: West Somer Dist (Carhampton et al)Somerset (5 June 1985) 39.
- <3> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 11 43.
- <4> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9802 3714 (29m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/maps.aspx?a=0&hob_id=36640 (Original Monarch entry: 36640)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/11/72
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10585
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE19
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36640
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31058
Record last edited
May 12 2021 9:02AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.