MSO7483 - Post-medieval fishponds south of Chargot House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Fishponds" are printed on the 6" 1962 map and at least seven ponds were shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, the westernmost having two islands. [1-3] Formed along valley bottom."Ponds Cottage" and "Pool Farm" nearby. Also possible mill and water meadow system.  The fishponds also appear on the Luxborough Tithe Map of 1843.  The ponds still appear to be extant. They are likely to be associated with Chargot House. [6,7]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 6" 1962.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, Somerset Council Planning Department, 5 March 1984.
- <5> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM8415 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2015. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 25 August 2017.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 978 369 (668m by 285m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128152 (Original Monarch entry: 1128152)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11400
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE66
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128152
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33756
Record last edited
Aug 25 2017 11:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.