MSO7047 - Contour Leat, Long Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A contour leat on the lower south side of Long Combe taps the river at the boundary between Larkbarrow and Tom's Hill farms at its eastern end. In the west it terminates at a field boundary. The channel is about 0.5 metres wide and 0.2 metres deep with a retaining bank 1.3 metres wide. It crosses a quarry at SS81154277. (1) It appears to join the water meadow system at Long Combe (MSO7028). (4) A water channel of a type known as a contour leat or gutter is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the north facing slopes of Long Combe, roughly 250 metres to the south of Tom's Farm, centred on circa SS 81144279. The gutter taps Long Combe at the field boundary between the Larkbarrow and Tom's Hill estates and terminates at a field boundary some 650 metres to the northwest. With a second, somewhat slighter gutter immediately to the south, the channel probably acted as a simple catchwork or field gutter water meadow for the Tom's Hill farm estate. (5-6)
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. McDonnell, R. 05/07/1982.
- <2> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. P.83.
- <3> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. P.67 (site 84).
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Webster, C. 11/09/2002.
- <5> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3066-7. 11/04/1947.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8107 4274 (552m by 256m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975038 (Pastscape entry: 975038)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO422
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11006
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW96
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975038
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33145
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.