MSO7046 - Post-medieval contour leat above Long Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A contour leat is located on the higher south side of Long Combe, south of Tom's Hill. The western end terminates at a track leading to Tom's Hill, the eastern end continues into the Larkbarrow Estate. It is a low feature c.0.1 metres deep, and is used as a sheep track.  It crosses a quarry at SS 8114 4277.  It appears to join the water meadow system at Long Combe (MSO7028).  A water channel of a type known as a contour leat or gutter is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the north facing slopes of Long Combe, roughly 250 metres to the south of Tom's Farm, centred on circa SS 81164276. The gutter taps a small, probably spring fed tributary of Long Combe at circa SS 8137 4255, just within the Larkbarrow estate, before flowing east to terminate just before a field boundary within the Toms Hill estate some 650 metres to the northwest. The gutter is only intermittently visible on the aerial photographs available to the survey, but its course is marked on the Ordnance Survey base map as a trackway, supporting the McDonnell's suggestion that it was reused as a sheep track. With a second larger gutter immediately to the north, the channel probably functioned as a simple catchwork or field gutter water meadow. [6,7]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R McDonnell, 5 July 1982.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. RMcDonnell, 22 July 1982.
- <3> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. P.83.
- <4> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. P.66 (site 83).
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Webster,Somerset HER, 11 September 2002.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3066-7 (11 April 1947).
- <7> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8110 4270 (541m by 311m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975035 (Pastscape entry: 975035)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO421
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11005
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW95
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975035
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33144
Record last edited
Jan 4 2017 3:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.