MSO7049 - Leat, Tom's Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A ploughed out leat, southeast of Tom's Hill Farm, is visible as an indistinct feature measuring c0.8 metres wide and c0.2 metres deep. (1) The leat appears to join another leat in the Long Combe water meadow system (MSO7028). (4) A water channel on Tom's Hill, of a type known as a leat or head main, is visible as an earthwork over 300 metes long on aerial photographs of the 1940s and 1950s, centred on circa SS 81404297. It is probably of 19th century date and was most likely part of a wider programme of agricultural improvements associated with Larkbarrow Farm. Further leats are visible to the north and south, and this water channel probably fed into an extensive water meadow immediately to the east, to the south of Larkbarrow Farm, but no physical connection is visible. It is now largely ploughed level. (5-8)
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. McDonnell, R. 05/07/1982.
- <2> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. P.83.
- <3> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. P.66 (site 82).
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Webster, C. 10/09/2002.
- <5> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3311-2. 13/05/1946.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3062-3. 08/11/1952.
- <8> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 77013 079-80. 20/05/1977.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8139 4290 (117m by 324m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975043 (Pastscape entry: 975043)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO7049
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO424
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11008
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW89
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975043
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33147
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.