MSO7048 - Post-medieval contour leat at Long Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A contour leat on the north side of Long Combe, terminates at a field boundary in the west, but continues east into Larkbarrow estate. The width varies between 1.8 metres to 1 metre, with a depth of 0.3 metres. At SS 8136 4268 it cuts a quarry spoil mound.  It appears to join the water meadow system at Long Combe (MSO7028).  A water channel of a type known as a contour leat or gutter is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the south facing slopes of Long Combe, roughly 250 metres to the south of Tom's Farm, centred on circa SS 8132 4272. The gutter tapped Long Combe in the Larkbarrow estate to the east, where it formed part of an extensive water meadow system to the south of Larkbarrow Farm, before roughly following the 360 metre contour for over 500 metres, terminating at a spring fed stream at circa SS 8120 4291. It is fed from a point approximately 30 metres to the northeast on from this same stream, a second gutter circa 450 metres long continues eastwards along the 360 metre contour, terminating at a field boundary to the west at circa SS 8082 4297. [5,6]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R McDonnell, 5 July 1982.
- <2> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. P.83.
- <3> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. P.66 (site 81).
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Webster, 11 September 2002.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3192-3 (13 May 1946).
- <6> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8120 4279 (780m by 381m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975040 (Pastscape entry: 975040)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO423
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11007
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW97
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975040
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33146
Record last edited
Jan 4 2017 3:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.