MSO11001 - Prehistoric field banks at East Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Three field banks: (1) SS 7982 4250 to SS 7999 4228. Stone spread with some set and standing stones. 26 paces wide. May be collapsed stone wall. (2) SS 7983 4264 to SS 7999 4246. Stone bank 4 paces wide and 38 paces long with a rounded top 0.25 metre high. Orientated northwest to southeast. Marked vegetational difference to surrounding area. (3) SS 7983 4264 to SS 8020 4270. Less well defined, joins with (2) at eastern end. Orientated east to west. Less than 0.2 metres high and 2 paces wide.  Described as a stone row 16.5 metres long with 11 and 8 stones in rows 0.6 metres apart.  A number of banks on East and West Pinford were noted in 1981. SS 799 427. Two lengths of substantial stone banks, forming an acute angle at their junction, were recorded to the southeast of the East Pinford stone rows. One of these banks is nearly 40.0 metres long, 4.0 metres wide and 0.3 metres high and displays a marked vegetational difference from the surrounding area. It is orientated to the northwest. The second bank is joined to the above feature at its northern end. and is approximately 350.0 metres long, 3.0 metres wide and 0.2 metres high. It is orientated east-north-east and becomes increasingly difficult to follow to the east. SS 7980 4277. A short tail about 4.0 metres long was noticed on the southern side of the cairn (MSO10904) on East Pinford. Close inspection of aerial photographs suggests that this tail may well be part of a field bank that continues southwards, as a subsurface feature, for between 20.0 metres and 30.0 metres.  In fact all form part of a field system which encloses a hut circle (MSO11000). [4-5] Centred at SS 7986 4263 are two banks, joined at their western ends. One, on a bearing of 137 degrees (mag) is 33 metres long and consists of a very straight stony bank 3 metres wide and 0.3 metres high. The other, on a bearing of 68 degrees (mag), is 106 metres long and is a turf covered stony bank, 2.8 metres wide and 0.3 metres high. The feature is slightly sinuous in places, and towards its eastern end becomes increasingly fragmented. It appears to form a lynchet with the natural ground surface being lower on its downslope or northwestern side; this effect may be due to a natural build up of peat. Surveyed at 1:10,000 scale on record sheet.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO476 Unassigned: SMR file 33140.
- <2> SSO2098 Monograph: Whybrow, C.. 1977. Antiquary's Exmoor. The Exmoor Press. 15.
- <3>XY SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. 63-4. [Mapped feature: #47250 "Short tail", ]
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 7942.
- <5> SSO238 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.1980 Run 79. 1936.
- <6> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 51-2 (sites 39-41).
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 June 1994.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35305, Extant 1 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7999 4252 (400m by 490m) (3 map features)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Disputed prehistoric standing stone on East Pinford (Monument) (MSO12244)
- Parent of: Disputed prehistoric stone setting on East Pinford (Monument) (MSO12248)
- Parent of: Possible prehistoric field boundary at East Pinford (Monument) (MSO12402)
- Part of: Prehistoric coaxial landscape, East Pinford (Monument) (MSO12252)
- Related to: Prehistoric field bank at West Pinford (Monument) (MSO11020)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6830
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE38
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35305
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33140
Record last edited
Oct 13 2021 1:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.