MSO12248 - Disputed prehistoric stone setting on East Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
One upright stone 0.5 metres high, 0.27 metres wide, 0.14 metres thick; many recumbent stones and stubs. Site bears a marked resemblance to East Pinford 1 (MSO6820) and similarly is rectilinear and runs with the ground, east to west. The site is littered with broken stone, stone stubs embedded on edge, some fallen stones, mostly within the row or immediately outside it. Some of the almost circular shapes described by some stubs seem to suggest small cairns within the row (later date?). For much of the length the rows are delineated by stubs, suggesting that low walls once bounded the long axes. Perhaps the remains of a stone row, or some structure. Might once have continued across the marsh to link up with East Pinford 1.  Description suggests a prehistoric field wall.  Condition unchanged (1 September 1995).  Probably part of field system MSO11001.  A rhomboidal post of sandstone measuring 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.2m, on the north edge of East Pinford. Its setting is amongst numerous stones, which form part of a possible prehistoric field bank (MSO11001), and it casts significant doubt on the sites identification as a stone setting. Unlike the other stones, however, MSO12248 is well-set in the ground and upright. The stone is in a very good condition, with little clear deterioration to its fabric and setting. Livestock rubbing is evident, but there is no clear erosion hollow within the area of rushes, and the stone remains well-set. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33038, M Walker, 1993.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. A Preece, 1994.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33038, M Walker, 1995.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Chris Webster, Somerset County Council HER, January 1998.
- <5>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO12248. [Mapped feature: #45590 Upright Stone., MSO12248]
|Grid reference||SS 798 425 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35313
Record last edited
Dec 14 2018 4:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.